When you’re having guests over and want to make a simple yet delicious dessert, chocolate cake is always a great option. But with so many different recipes out there, how can you know which will really be the best one? The truth is, chocolate cake is something anyone can make well. Whether you choose to take the simple route or embellish it, there are so many different ways to perfect the classic dessert. All the same, it’s easy to get lost in all the approaches and techniques. Don’t get discouraged though. To help you impress your family and friends, we’ve found the best chocolate cake recipe out there: moist, rich, indulgent, yet light, your guests won’t get enough of this heavenly chocolate cake! Naturally, it’s easy to make as well.
What You’ll Need:
For the cake:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot strongly brewed coffee
For the chocolate ganache:
- 18 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- The first thing you need to do is preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Grease 2 9-inch cake pans before lining with parchment paper. Set them aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons baking soda, and 1 teaspoon baking powder. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar before whisking it all together. When it’s completely mixed, set it aside.
- In another bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and 2 large eggs. Add 1 cup of buttermilk and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract before whisking again.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ones. Whisk everything together until it’s combined. Pour in the cup of hot coffee and whisk again. The batter should be thin.
- Split the batter evenly between the 2 pre-greased cake pans. Bake them for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- When the cakes are done, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes. Transfer them to a wire rack and let them completely cool.
- For the ganache, add the chocolate chips to a bowl.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream into a saucepan and heat it until it starts simmering. Pour it over the chocolate chips.
- Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then, whisk the cream and chocolate together until you get a smooth mixture. Allow it to completely cool before refrigerating it for 20-30 minutes.
- When it’s ready, whip the ganache with a stand or hand mixer until you get stiff peaks – don’t overmix, though.
- To assemble the cake, place the first cake on a platter with the top down. Cover the top evenly with 1/3 of the whipped ganache.
- Place the second layer over the ganache with its top down. Use the rest of the ganache to cover the entirety of the cake evenly.
- Serve and enjoy!